On 18 November 2021, IARLA hosted an event to explore the initiatives underway in our respective associations to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion in our profession. Discussions focused on what we have prioritized and why, considered where our focus needs to be now, and identified potential opportunities for collaboration.
A recording of the event can be watched below:
This meeting was chaired by Mary Lee Kennedy, Executive Director of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), with presenter introductions by K. Matthew Dames, the Edward H. Arnold University Librarian of the University of Notre Dame and president of the Association of Research Libraries, panel moderation by DeLa Dos, senior director, Diversity Equity and Inclusion (ARL) and a summary and concluding remarks by David Prosser, Executive Director of Research Libraries UK. The visual notes were created by Dianna Folwarczny from InkFactory.
Speakers and panelists participating in the event were:
- becky martinez, Infinity Martinez Consulting
- Diego Baptista, Culture, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (CEDI), Wellcome Trust
- Lisa O’Hara, CARL Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Working Group Chair; Vice-Provost (Libraries) and University Librarian, University of Manitoba
- Constance Wiebrands, CAUL Board Director with responsibility for EDI and the Respecting Indigenous Knowledge Program; University Librarian, Edith Cowan University
- Rhea Ballard-Thrower, ARL Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Chair; University Librarian, University of Illinois Chicago
- Masud Khokhar, RLUK Vice-Chair; University Librarian and Keeper of the Brotherton Collection, University of Leeds